Saturday, September 1, 2012

The lazy minimalist

Last time I told you guys how the lazy factor helped a lot with cutting back, and not wasting money on disposable items.
Well, today, I would like to share with you yet another lazy idea to not waste money or time on something that, let's face it, we all use at some point or another: batteries.

When I was a student, I needed to record some of the lectures I went to (don't we all?), and decided to buy a really nice usb-enabled sound recorder. It was great because
for about 60 bucks I was able to record stuff, download it to my computer and then send it to my friends if they needed it, over email or messenger. That way I could keep an archive of our lectures until we didn't need them anymore, like after the exam for instance.

At the time, like every student, I was poor, so even though 60 was an investment, it was about as much as I was able to afford on a recorder.

What I didn't expect though, is that, in the era of iPods and other rechargeable, plug-and-play devices, I would have to go out and buy new batteries for my recorder every two weeks! I got stuck one evening after I plugged my recorder into my computer and 2 hours later the battery was still dead. Then I realized that, oops, it had regular batteries inside, not a rechargeable battery like an iPod. I wasn't gonna be able to record the next day. Sh*t.

Then it dawned on me. If I can charge my iPod at night and wake up in the morning to a charged device and not have to worry about it ever again, why not my recorder? So I went to buy rechargeable batteries and a charger (yet another investment at the time, but oh so worth it!), and to this day, I still use them, nearly 5 years on! Never have to go and buy new disposable batteries ever again!

And thus the lazy monkey inside me wins!!! Mwahaha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment