Saturday, September 1, 2012

minimalism: spontaneity is the new black

Most people get caught up in weekly chores. Let's face it, we've all spent countless hours on Saturday afternoons shopping for food, clothes, you name it.
Although shopping for clothes is nice when there are people around, I find it terribly tiring to wait in line for over a half hour to try on that skirt that I don't even know if it'll fit. So if I want to shop for something special, I try to go off-peak.


It's even more true for grocery-shopping. Elbowing your way around the super market during rush hour is not only exhausting, it wastes precious hours of your life you could put to better use: you could learn something, hang out with your family and friends, or simply rest.

That is why, when I need to go shopping for food or to do chores, instead of dedicating hours to those activities, I try to go at random moments, very spontaneously. It actually makes a lot more sense to me, since I am ready at that moment, and so I really want to get it done. Unlike Saturdays, when I knew I had to go but sooo didn't want to.

Incidentally, I will start a wash randomly also, mostly when I know I won't have to put up with it, like the short cycle while I go take a shower or the longer cycle when I bike to the supermarket and back.
By doing so, I ensure that I never have to "put up" with the chores and I can get them done in the least amount of time possible.

Typical laundry moment:

Me: hey it's time for a shower, why don't I get rid of the laundry by the same token? *pops the clothes in the washer, sets the cycle to "short", then goes to either watch TV, or read or to take a shower*
30 minutes later, while I am done getting dressed, the wash is done, takes no more than 5-10 minutes to hang everything to dry (I don't own a drier).

Bonus: by the window, the sun helps dry stuff faster, so I can put the clothes and rack away the next day.

How simple is that? Spontaneity is the new black because it helps declutter and simplify your schedule.

If you liked this post, please subscribe and share on Facebook. Thanks for reading!

1 comment: