Monday, August 27, 2012

Minimalism, empty space and space filling

When I first moved into my new home in CT in October 2010, I was struck by two very opposite feelings... On the one hand, I loved the empty space, and wanted to keep it that way, but on the other hand, I was thinking that I needed to buy things (like kitchen appliances, etc) to fill the house.

In any case I think that the problem is the promise that comes with the space or the item: if the space is empty, it is the promise of options, the promise that anything is possible, because nothing has been decided yet; if you decide to fill the space with, say, kitchen appliances, it is the promise of many wonderful holidays to come, where you will cook delicious meals for your family and friends.

And as many minimalist bloggers said, once you purchase the item, it stops being THE item, it just becomes "yet another item" in your house: the wonderful blender you bought yourself for Xmas becomes just "the blender", the cute curtains you adorned your living-room with just turn into "the curtains", which you actually don't even look at anymore... That might be the problem for most people. I know it certainly was for me...

So as I take on the challenge of minimalism, I pledge to stop simply dreaming about what is possible, and instead I will do my utmost to make it happen.

PS: I have already started by clearing out my kitchen and purging part of my wardrobe. I own a lot of items with great sentimental value so for me it will have to be baby steps, but every step counts on this journey, as long as I move forward, instead of doing nothing.

PPS: I would love to hear your thoughts on items with sentimental value.


No comments:

Post a Comment